<span class="highlight">roof</span> <span class="highlight">top</span> <span class="highlight">camper</span> tents

Submitted: Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:54
ThreadID: 71368 Views:8227 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am contemplating a Simpson rooftop camper, (with the bigger 'skirt'/tent underneath) for my Hyundai Terracan. Has anyone used one of these, if so, what are your comments? Also, can it be mounted on the roof rack that comes with theTerracan or do I have to buy another one?
What are they like in bad weather - strong winds, heavy rain?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:08

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:08
beejay13

Have had a rooftop for some time now. Many trips in various weather conditions.
The rooftop holds up well in all sorts of weather.
The section below can be time consumming to put up, so we only do so if camp for a couple of days.
As far as fitting to a Terracan I can not help.

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 378334

Reply By: sweetwill - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 14:21

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 14:21
hi beejay13
I have been using a rooftop tent for 12 months now without the skirt on the bottom and have been in some terrible storms the only time Iv been wet is having to get out of it in the rain after to much of a good thing at happy hour, would never go back to just a swag, I have mine set up so it opens up at the back of my ute, the ladder comes past my tailgate, also it has some awning strip fitted all the way around the base of it so I can have my awnings set-up the full length of the ute on both sides and extended out for 12'feet good luck with it .bill.
AnswerID: 378368

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:15

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:15
I had the Howling Moon Tourer (which I understand is a higher quality version of the ARB Pilbara tent - ie. heavier canvas etc.).

I bought mine second hand and it came with the annex to enclose the area underneath. I set it up once at home to see what it was like and could imagine it being quite handy for extended stops in bad weather or to provide additional accommodation for extra people. I never used it though - mainly because I was concerned about it rubbing against the side of the car and scratching the paint, but also because it wouldn't have been worth the effort (didn't need the extra space), particularly when I was usually moving on the next day anyway.

I haven't seen the roof racks on the TerrorCan so can't comment specifically but I think the ARB tents mount in the same way as the Howling Moon (your ARB dealer should be able to explain/demonstrate). The Howling Moon just bolted on with bolts that were held into extruded aluminium channels so that the bolts could be positioned (by sliding along the channels) to align with roof racks/bars. I bought a pair of Rhino Racks and drilled a hole in them for each bolt (ie. two holes in each bar) - would you be willing to drill holes in your factory fitted bars?!

It was fine in prolonged/heavy rain and the large awnings over the windows meant you could keep them open even if it was raining and windy at the same time. I never tested it in strong winds but moderate winds weren't a problem - I'd expect it would be okay in winds much stronger than I had it in. The only problem with the larger Tourer/Pilbara tents in rain was that the water tends to pool on the roof extension over the ladder - shouldn't be a problem for the smaller 'Simpson' though since the roof design/angle is steeper.
AnswerID: 378371

Follow Up By: beejay13 - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 18:47

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 18:47
Hi Timbo,
I haven't used aforum before so I am no sure if I have to follow up on everyone's post or just to one.
I am very impressed and pleased with the number of responses I have received.Generally it looks as though the roof top tent concept is OK. That was an interesting point you made about water pooling I will have to ask the firm (Arco Design) whether they have cured that problem. This outfit is supposed to be the same one that ARB sell but much cheaper It is made in South Africa.
Once I have found a satisfactory solution to the roof rack question I shall make my decision.

Thanks for your information.

Beejay13
FollowupID: 645793

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:43

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:43
I would highly recommend the roof-top tent option if you are moving every day or two. The biggest downside is when you want to set up a 'base camp' for a few days and make short trips in the car each day you have to pack it all up every day. I know many people will tell you it only takes 5min, but you may want to time them for the complete procedure - INCLUDING putting the cover on/off! Realistically, I could set it all up (or pack up) in 10min after some practice - this was total time from parking the car to having the bed made, or from crawling out in the morning to being ready to drive off. It doesn't sound like much, but if you're set-up in a town and just want to duck down the road for fish-n-chips etc., it can be annoying. It wasn't a problem for my travelling because I rarely stayed in towns, and then I was usually moving on within 2 days anyway. On most of my longer travels, I never had the luxury of a nice grassy site to pitch a regular tent - the rooftop tent was always very comfortable regardless of what I was parked on (sand, sticks, rocks, etc.!). Importantly, Mrs liked it too!

Here is a picture of my tent mounted so it would open to the rear of the car which provided shelter over the back doors (I think this is the most common way).Image Could Not Be Found

As can be seen, the tent has an extra extension over the ladder (unlike the picture of the Simpson tent on the ARB website)

I tried out the annex one day at home - here is a picture of the tent set up with the annex. Image Could Not Be Found The yellow arrow indicates the area where the water would collect. The roof extension had two guy ropes to peg into the ground - usually if these were tight enough the water wouldn't pool on the roof, but if the water started to pool it the roof would sag more under the weight so more water would collect, and so on.....!

The Howling Moon was made in South Africa (as I think many of the roof-top tents are/were - and where I understand the idea/concept came from). Howling Moon was originally sold by Open Sky but I don't think they sell them anymore.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. BTW: Posting a follow-up will send an email only to that person, so if you want to ask further questions to something that someone else has said, you would have to post a 'follow up' on their comments.
FollowupID: 645804

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:48

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:48
I have the tent/skirt you speak of. Mine's the equivalent of an ARB Simpson 2. ARB have just released the Simpson 3 which looks even better.
The sellers on ebay sell the same as the Simpson 2 - the one with the 'verandah' and the ladder that goes on the inside of the skirt. I have only good things to say about it, the quality is good, the mattress excellent. I've put it up in pouring rain at Goomburra and had a dry night's sleep inside, then put it down soaking wet then opened it at home again to find the bedding dry - apart from one little section where I didn't close the window properly. As others have said, the skirt takes a bit of time and is only used when the mrs wants some privacy around other campers etc.
The mount system is pretty much universal - just decide where you want the ladder, then attach the rails to the bottom of the tent. The rails sit at 90 deg to whatever racks you have, then 'clamp' onto them using a couple of bolts and a backing piece at each corner.
Just as a price guide, I got mine new off ebay - tent, skirt, and 2.5m roll out awning on the other side for about $1300 odd delivered to Brissy. It is basically identical to the ARB product but without the stickers. For touring with only 1 - 2 night stays it's as good as it gets. Any longer than that in one spot and I'd be packing a tent - or mounting the rooftopper on my trailer so it can stay up.
AnswerID: 378372

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:50

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:50
I ahve been using the ARB Pilbara model for the past three years.Mine is an older tent so the canvas quality is somewhat bertter than they are using now. The simpson has the longer tent section and snap down fly. They will handle a hell of a lot of wind. The only issue is that the safari roof (Rain fly) flaps around very noisily on mine as it is only held on to the roof by toggles with no tensioning ability. With the wire supports at the end, it snaps around a fair bit in a stiff breeze. I usually leave it off unless weather is threatening.

I think that the Simpson has clips for the fly now allowing tensioning of the fly but I'd check that out. If you do a Google search on the ARB Simpson tent, you will find that many people have been disatisfied with the quality of the latest tents that are imported. For the money I'd look at the Opensky as well. Half the price and same quality.

Open Sky Tents

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 378373

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 17:32

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 17:32
ShippShape Shortcut

Have you seen the above tent?

Like above I have the room and extras but do not use them. Unless you plan a long stay in insect country they are not needed.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 378399

Reply By: Member - David K (QLD) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:00

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:00
Hi beejay,
Have a look at the Hannibal roof top tent, large fully enclosed section below including floor, also the ladder is under cover. They are extremely good in bad weather.

Cheers David
AnswerID: 378415

Follow Up By: blue one - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:10

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:10
Agree with that one. I have had one for 3 years and rate it 10 out of 10.

Fraser, Santa Teresa track or just a weekender, it's great even the missus likes it.

Cheers
FollowupID: 645800

Reply By: beejay13 - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:04

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:04
Hi to everybody,
Here is some information that has rocked me:
I phoned Rhino Roof Racks today. They tell me that they do not make a roof rack for the Hyundai Terracan as the roof is not strong enough to take any more than the 34kgs the standard roof rack is rated to. If I were to fit a roof top camper onto my roof , the weight of 2 peopleplus the camper itself would cause the roof to bend in!

I have seen these campers fitted to lots of different vehicles, including a Jeep which would have the thinnest body metal I have ever encountered (I owned a '99 Grand Laredo).

So, is this a fact? If so, I will have to forget a rooftop camper and go back to the camper trailer concept.

By the way, thanks for your very useful and thought provoking input.

Beejay13
AnswerID: 378604

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:00

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:00
Hi Beejay, sorry to hear that. 34kg is very light, however don't lose all hope just yet if you really want a roof-top tent...

You might be interested to do some searching on the Oasis Roof Top Tents - you could start by looking at Aussie Super Springs or M&M Imports. These tents weigh only 17-18kg!

What about the people sleeping in it? Well, the rating for roof rack loads applies to dynamic load (ie. the maximum weight to have up there while you're driving). Most cars are actually designed to support the weight of the car on it's roof (ie. so you don't crush the occupants if it goes greasy side up) so the roof on most cars would be adequate to support the weight of a couple of people (while stationary). I had the Howling Moon on a Jackaroo (as pictured). The roof rack loading for the Jackaroo was around 70kg (I think from memory) and the tent itself was a whopping 65kg. Add me, a companion, a couple of sleeping bags, pillows, small 12v battery & light, etc. and the total weight is getting up around 200kg!
FollowupID: 646035

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 18:06

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 18:06
Buy a well made trailer and put a rooftop tent on it...a good option and possibly less expensive than full omn camper trailer.....

Cheers
FollowupID: 646044

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 18:41

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 18:41
Good suggestion Landy, in fact this mob makes that very thing with a ShippShape roof-top tent on top.
FollowupID: 646051

Reply By: beejay13 - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:42

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:42
That is very different to what the Rhino Roof Racks guy told me but it is in line with what I had heard before. In fact, I looked at the manual last night and it had a warning "Putting more than 34kgs on your roof rack could damage the stability of your vehicle" meaning they are worried that you are raising the centre of gravity - not damaging the roof or roof rack.
AnswerID: 378666

Sponsored Links